Sunday, March 2, 2014

Finally Finished

How many have projects that you were meant to complete ages ago and just haven't gotten around to it yet?

I will admit I have a few of those.  But this past weekend I was able to cross one of them off my list and completed it - yahoo!  And much to my daughter Melissa's delight as well.

I couple of years back Melissa and my husband Brad redecorated her room.  The paint was chosen and applied, new curtains and nets were found and put up.  Melissa even found some awesome wall stickers of owls and trees and also added them to her room.  I promised I would make a lovely 'Dream' banner for her room.  I found some 4"x 6" chipboard and painted it with the accent paint used in her room.  I even die-cut and glittered the letters for the word Dream and that is were it stayed at for awhile.

I had planned to finish it for her birthday that year and then for Christmas, but it just didn't happen.  I could not find the accents and elements that I wanted for the banner.  I was also having issues with the glitter, in that it kept coming off the letters.  So it was put aside in my craft room.

We over the weekend Melissa went to a friends for a girls night sleepover.  This was my chance to do something with the banner.  I felt inspired.  It was the perfect opportunity to also have a play with the new Teresa Collins Modeling Paste.  Oh I had so much fun.  Firstly I fixed the glitter problem.  I matted the die-cut letters on some more cardstock, then added a bit extra glitter in areas that looked a little sparse.  To affix the glitter so it would look pretty and yet not fall off I covered the letters with Dimensional Magic - perfect.  You could use Glossy Accents and get the same result.  I put these aside for the rest of Saturday.

In the meantime I took the chance to play with the Teresa Collins Modeling paste and some stencils.  Firstly I used the Teresa Collins Scallop stencil and covered a 12" x 12" grey cardstock ready for a layout.  Maybe not the greatest idea for a first project, but it came together well (I will show you the finished result later in the week).  The paste is so easy to work with.  So next I grabbed the painted chipboard and a variety of stencils and went to work (OK play).  Working with a smaller area was a lot easier.  As soon as a background was done that stencil went straight to the laundry sink and cleaned so the modeling paste did not have time to dry on the stencil. (unfortunately I did not take photos as I went, only the finished project)

On Sunday I was able to put the whole thing together and I am really pleased with the results.  I added some die-cut doily bits as well as some butterflies and flowers punched using the Martha Stewart Layering punches.



I suppose this winter it is time to work on some of my cross-stitch projects that need finished from previous years (shhhh ... I rather be scrapbooking LOL!)

No comments:

Post a Comment